These glue moulds are like an untidy and unorganised version of the piece ‘Ladle Moulds’ I exhibited at the Surface/Space/Time exhibition back in 2009. This time, working on a flat surface. It’s made with Drawing inks and a pva/water mix. I’m have been adding bit by bit for the past year. It takes a long long time to dry, so it’s been another ongoing thing, which is now done and I can now find another use for the massive shower door which has been looming over my studio space (as much as a glass door can loom)
A new year de-clutter. I’ve been organising things on my computer better. Part of this involved wading through thousands of photographs, deleting and shifting around. Collating the images of things I’ve made into one big folder. It’s been a bit of a mission, but also enjoyable to be reminded of things I’ve created/found and forgotten about, such as these:
Collages, all together.
These beautiful keys, which belong to the caretaker at Redland Girls School.
Trying new methods of drying the ‘glue moulds’ this patch never, ever dried.
Complete glue moulds, peeled off a strong plastic surface. So brightly coloured although I never used much ink.
My father’s difficult hand writing. A bad list! More of a statement.
The first sewing drawing, during a residency at a secondary school.
A little brainstorm which sums up everything. Colour and repetition.
I have been prolific today. I was in the studio till 8pm, inspired, I kept finding more things to do and I’m only home now because I’m hungry for fish and chips mmm. A Friday night treat from Bishopston Fish Bar!
Today, I have: caught up on last night’s Big Brother with my neighbour Mia, taken home all the crockery from my studio and put it all in my dishwasher, recycled, taken rubbish to the dump (I’m the ‘head housekeeper’ of the studio you see), done a layer of papier mache on the balloons ready for the Big Lebowski festival tonight at The Lanes, Bristol, put up a wall in the studio, painted that wall, watched 4 episodes of the L word whilst doing most of the above, made a friend a birthday present collage, bound my birthday blind-drawing papers, wrote this blog, started my glue molds,
So these ‘glue molds’, they are for my my exhibition: ‘Surface/Space/Time’ at The Crypt Gallery, London (26th Aug – 9th Sept) which is curated by and also showing the work of Sam Clift who is a nice chap that I went to uni with.
I have been meaning to get on with starting the glue molds for months. I created some whilst at uni, and made this small quilt with them:
The idea I have for the exhibition is very similar, but with edited colors and on a much larger scale. The patchwork is made by filling big spoons with a mix of PVA, water and ink. They take AGES to dry, and the final stage sewing the patches together (but i’m thinking about spray-mount??)
Today I started working out the quantities of glue to water I need to make the perfect mixture for the molds. I have five plastic cups, 1-5, 1 has 30 parts water to 70 parts glue, 2= 40:60, 3= 50:50, 4= 60:40, 5= 70:30 I need the mold to be the perfectly supple, and not brittle. I have poured the liquids into 5 different ladels, and I’ll wait (about a week?) to see which mixture makes the perfect consistency of mold. Process! It’s been a long time since I focussed on process. It’s where my heart lies with my art, and it felt really good to get into this again today.
Here we have the Receipt Mountains. Barfoot and Duggan have acquired thousands of receipts, all from one person who has collected every receipt from every purchasee in their life. We’re working with PVA and getting messy, scrunching it all up and creating a terrain. We’re enjoying the process, and plan to fill a space with them, a whole floor of them.
Barfoot and Duggan in action! Lucy and I are using Trevor’s reciepts (he has collected every reciept ever since he was 16) to create some kind of mountain. We’re working out the aesthetics and concept continually, but getting close to the material – covering it with glue, pushing it around, into cracks and peaks.
We’re making small ones, well not really small – 4ft x 3ft mountains, and then taking them on location, on a sunny day, filling in the gaps to make one big mountain, then after lots of photographing and thinking, deconstructing it and bringing it