It’s up! It’s full! Come and have a look at my reasonably priced ceramics. http://lucybarfoot.tictail.com
Just moved house, and to dived straight into the project of making a ceramic house number. Scary stuff, flat things are difficult to fire in the kiln, and at a high risk of cracking – especially when it comes to screwing it into the wall.
Paper resist was the technique I used for this, and royal blue works quite nicely with the brick work.
Onwards! To more home-projects!
All my wise men are complete! I was documenting their progress over on My Instagram and I’m happy to say that they all survived the kiln.
Many thanks to Jen at The Village Pottery, who let me work in her lovely studio here in Briz.
Images of the making process:
And here’s a few from my new clan of wise men:
Trying out a new technique with coil-building.
Something I couldn’t not do without at the pottery studio is my sketchbook – a record of glazes, processes, what works and what doesn’t. I’m a big fan of keeping note and have got into the habit of making keys for colour and texture.
This is a colour wheel I made. I noted which colour is which, so if i find a shade/overlap of slip and glaze I love, I know what it is. Without this, I find it hard to choose which slips and glazes to use – they are stored in tupperware boxes, and the colour is written on the box but the wet slips only show their colour once fired – it’s like a lottery unless you have a key.
Texture tests! I made this because I want to be adding more texture to things, and i want to be nimble about it, rather than having to wait to experiment with a texture – I did lots of texture experiments all at once, and laid out each texture tool next to the mark it made. I’ll now print this pic out and wack it into my sketchbook.
Cracking on with making lots of these tall and skinny vases, ready exhibiting and selling at the Totterdown Arts Trail 2015, and some Christmas markets too.
Made this coiled pot last term, my first time coiling in ages. First time attaching these loops/bridges/handles too. Glazing – more painted brushstrokes, and a colour palette of lilacy-greys.
Hi blog, long time no blog. Here I am! Around Christmas time I got very much into making pots with faces at my pottery class. A great excuse to get on the wheel for the majority of the 12-weeks of the class, with a few sessions of nose-making in-between.
My favourite facepot / pothead is this one above. I used crackleglaze and tin white glaze over the top of that, which is a no-no in the world of pottery, nothing goes over crackle! But it made a lovely texture and colour, not dissimilar to a duck egg.
A few of the faces had feet, these were the most popular ones and flew off the shelf when I had a Christmas stall at the Picton Street Fayre to sell them all off.
My first play with terracotta, this chap wore his cactii perfectly